Thursday, October 28, 2010

Pillow Tables; Table pillows

Pillow

Pillows are soft – or at least they should be soft. Otherwise they aren’t really pillows. Some are made with feathers inside, some aren’t. Pillows, surprisingly, aren’t very cheap. I guess the softer the better the more expensive? They’re all typically white, although I am not sure why pillows have to be white, especially when you put pillowcases over them. They’re not very aesthetically pleasing by themselves, but they are very functional. The pillow cases make them aesthetically pleasing to look at. One pillow isn’t enough, two pillows is good. Sometimes, pillows get flattened when you’ve been sleeping on them too long. I wonder why that is? Planned obsolescence perhaps? Pillows are typically rectangular. Some have strange ridges on them, some don’t. Throw pillows, or whatever you call them, are pretty pointless. Why do people put pillows they don’t use on their beds? Circular pillows are pretty cool. Some have tassels. But those are the kinds you put on your couch.

Table

Dark wood, light wood, red wood, oak wood, all different kinds of wood. The first table I think of is the kitchen table. Round, square, rectangular, all different shapes. But there are also coffee tables, side tables, desks, roundtables, and other things like that. When tables start to wobble, it makes me sad. And I don’t think it’s a table anymore. Tables are supposed to be stable in my book. They aren’t infallible to stains though. I remember having to take a sponge to clean my kitchen table when I was a child. Every night I did that. Graffiti etched into the wood. Some roll, don’t they? Wood scratching wood doesn’t sound good. And I mean when the sound of table scratching onto wood floors. Flat top, mesa, plateau, food, center of the home. Under the table, table cloths, table mats, table furnishes. They can be dressed up. I like flat surfaces.

Pillow + Table

· A pillow stuffed with wood?

· A pillow attached to a table (for taking naps, perhaps?)

· A pillow with a wooden pattern printed onto it.

· A table whose legs are built into a massive pillow (for a nice cushy footrest

· A table whose flat surface is not made of wood, but pillow

· A pillow made out of wood.

Oh my god. These are difficult.

· A table with pillows as place mats

· A pillow attached to a small table with adjustable legs – to be used for elevating one’s self

· A table with legs that are made of pillow

· A small square table with a pillow resting on top

· A table with pillow material lain all along the underside of it so that you can flip it over and then sleep there (doubles as a bed and a table)

Viable products?

I believe a small table with a pillow resting on top of it could be called… a chair or a stool, rather. Perhaps maybe, if you made it so that the pillow was partially removable and so you could use it as a table as well, that would be neat. So that’s definitely viable. I would love to have a table that doubled as a bed if you just flipped it over. This would prove very efficient if you lived in a small New York studio or something. But the most viable combination of pillow on table is if you sold a decorative pillow on a nice, small table. I think those would work. Or perhaps a pillow fashioned in a way that makes it easy for a person to sleep with their head resting on the table. Like, an ergonomically shaped pillow that could stored in an office drawer. Pull it out during lunch and take a nap instead!

1 comment:

  1. Dave,

    Interesting viable product suggestions. I Love them. Just want to let you know that "a pillow made out of wood" is actually very popular in some countries (e.g., Korea), especially for older generation. Check this out: (http://elwood5566.net/2010/08/04/bathhouse-basics-6-the-wooden-pillow-mok-chim-%EB%AA%A9%EC%B9%A8/). I remember that I used them when I was a kid :)

    Great brainstorming with an unconventional pair!

    ReplyDelete